Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Boeing 747-400F, N571UP: Investigations into UPS crash near end - Accident occurred September 03, 2010 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

The General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) has spent the past 33 months investigating the crash of the Boeing 747-400 that claimed the lives of 48-year-old Captain Doug Lampe and First Officer Matthew Bell, 38.

Investigators from the GCAA's Air Accident Investigation Sector worked with representatives from UPS, Boeing, the National Transportation Safety Board (
United States) and the Federal Aviation Administration (United States).

"Over the past years, the GCAA has gained enormous capabilities in handling air accident investigations, and we are very keen to collaborate with other specialised entities to share expertise and enhance the safety of the UAE skies," said Saif Al Suwaidi, director general of the GCAA.

Representatives of all involved bodies met in the capital at the start of the month to review progress on the report and its findings.

"The GCAA is in the final stages of preparing the air accident final report," said Khalid Al Rais, the investigator in charge. "The workshop aimed to open a constructive dialogue between all parties involved in the investigation, to enhance safety.

"The investigation has involved a significant level of international cooperation that has seen the UAE take a leading role. A number of independent fire tests have been performed, and reconstruction of the aircraft critical systems was undertaken to establish the root cause of the aircraft's failures."

What is currently known to the public is that at 7.12pm on September 3, 2010, UPS Flight 6 reported its Main Deck Fire Warning had gone off. It is believed its cargo of lithium batteries was on fire.

The pilots were in contact with Bahraini air-traffic controllers at the time, who said they could land at Doha, but the pilots chose to return to Dubai instead.

Once in Dubai airspace, it became clear they could not change radio frequency meaning they had to communicate with Dubai air traffic control through their counterparts in Bahrain.

By the time the pilots attempted to land at Dubai International Airport, thick smoke had filled the cockpit and the aircraft overflew the runway at around 4,000ft, then turned right. Five minutes later, emergency services were alerted when the plane crashed inside Nad Al Sheba Military Base, close to the junction of Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Road and Al Ain motorway.

The full findings of the crash investigation will be published on July 1, along with numerous safety recommendations set forward by the GCAA to concerned entities.



NTSB Identification: DCA10RA092
Nonscheduled 14 CFR Part 121: Air Carrier operation of UNITED PARCEL SERVICE CO
Accident occurred Friday, September 03, 2010 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Aircraft: BOEING 747-44AF, registration: N571UP
Injuries: 2 Fatal.

The foreign authority was the source of this information.

At about 7:45 pm local time (1545 UTC), United Parcel Service (UPS) Flight 6, a Boeing 747-400F (N571UP), crashed while attempting to land at Dubai International Airport (DXB), Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE). Approximately 45 minutes after takeoff, the crew declared an emergency due to smoke in the cockpit and requested a return to DXB. The two flight crew members were fatally injured. The airplane was being operated as a scheduled cargo flight from Dubai, UAE to Cologne, Germany.

The investigation is being led by the UAE General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA). The NTSB has designated a U.S. Accredited Representative as the state of the operator and state of design and manufacture of the airplane and engines.

All inquiries should be directed to:

General Civil Aviation Authority
Regulations and Investigation Section
P.O. Box 6558
Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.