Thursday, March 03, 2022

Extra NG, N100NG: Fatal accident occurred March 02, 2022 at Northeast Florida Regional Airport (KSGJ), St. Augustine, St. Johns County, Florida

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

The National Transportation Safety Board traveled to the scene of this accident. 

Additional Participating Entity:
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Orlando, Florida

Southeast Aero Sales Inc

Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Accident Number: ERA22FA141
Date and Time: March 2, 2022, 17:02 Local 
Registration: N100NG
Aircraft: Extra NG 
Injuries: 1 Fatal
Flight Conducted Under: Part 91: General aviation - Personal

On March 2, 2022, at 1702 eastern standard time, an Extra NG, N100NG, was substantially damaged when it was involved in an accident near St. Augustine, Florida. The private pilot was fatally injured. The airplane was operated by the pilot as a Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight.

The pilot of an Extra 300, N331FZ, stated he was flying chalk two in a flight of two with his fiancé flying lead in the accident airplane. They were returning to their home airport after a short local flight. After several minutes of watching smoke come from the exhaust of the accident airplane, he asked over the radio if the airplane’s smoke-generator was on. The pilot replied that it was not, and she added that the engine was producing only 1,380 rpm, which was below the expected 2,200 rpm cruise power setting. While at 2,800 ft, 190 knots groundspeed, and 10 miles west of Northeast Florida Regional Airport (SGJ), N331FZ advised air traffic control (ATC) that N100NG had a partial loss of engine power, was trailing smoke, and declared an emergency for the accident airplane. The pilot of N100NG stated over the tower frequency “my engine is doing something weird, what do I do?” As both airplanes approached SGJ, N331FZ stated over the tower frequency “you’re going to make it down, cut the throttle, slip it in, you have a lot of energy now, cut the throttle, slip it deep, deep, slip, you got it.”

A review of the Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) data provided by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) final target depicted the airplane at 200 ft and 165 knots groundspeed as it crossed the airport boundary. The airplane overflew the 8,000 ft runway and came to rest inverted in marshland about 1,500 ft past the departure end of the landing runway. Afterwards, the pilot transmitted over the tower frequency, “I had too much speed, I should have come in slower.”

Examination of the wreckage revealed no evidence of in-flight or post-crash fire. Flight control continuity was established from the cockpit controls to all flight control surfaces. About 11 gallons of fuel were drained from the fuel tanks. The fuel appeared clear and free of contaminants.

Two of the three propeller composite blades were fractured off at the hub. The engine’s crankshaft was rotated by hand at the propeller hub and continuity was established from the powertrain to the valvetrain and the accessory section. Compression was confirmed using the thumb method. Examination of the cylinders, valves, and pistons with a lighted borescope revealed no anomalies. Both magnetos were removed, actuated with an electric drill, and spark was produced at all terminal leads. The propeller governor was removed, rotated by hand, and oil flowed through the governor as designed.

The mechanical fuel pump was removed and pumped fluid when actuated by hand; no anomalies were noted. The electric fuel pump operated normally with electrical power applied; the pump rotated normally. The throttle body fuel filter, fuel nozzles, and fuel flow divider were clear and free of debris.

The wreckage was retained for further examination.

Aircraft and Owner/Operator Information

Aircraft Make: Extra 
Registration: N100NG
Model/Series: NG 
Aircraft Category: Airplane
Amateur Built:
Operator: On file
Operating Certificate(s) Held: None
Operator Designator Code:

Meteorological Information and Flight Plan

Conditions at Accident Site: VMC 
Condition of Light: Day
Observation Facility, Elevation: SGJ,10 ft msl
Observation Time: 16:56 Local
Distance from Accident Site: 1 Nautical Miles
Temperature/Dew Point: 21°C /5°C
Lowest Cloud Condition: Clear 
Wind Speed/Gusts, Direction: 6 knots / , 70°
Lowest Ceiling: None 
Visibility: 10 miles
Altimeter Setting: 30.13 inches Hg
Type of Flight Plan Filed: None
Departure Point: Keystone Heights, FL (42J) 
Destination: St. Augustine, FL

Wreckage and Impact Information

Crew Injuries: 1 Fatal 
Aircraft Damage: Substantial
Passenger Injuries:
Aircraft Fire: None
Ground Injuries:
Aircraft Explosion: None
Total Injuries: 1 Fatal
Latitude, Longitude: 29.953613,-81.328816

Those who may have information that might be relevant to the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) investigation may contact them by email, and any friends and family who want to contact investigators about the accident should email You can also call the NTSB Response Operations Center at 844-373-9922 or 202-314-6290. 

Marianne Elizabeth Fox
October 4, 1972 - March 3, 2022

Marianne Elizabeth Fox née Biddinger was born in Oelwein, Iowa on October 4, 1972 to Steve and Connie Biddinger. When she was only 5 months old, the family moved to Oregon. Marianne attended Perrydale School through her freshman year, and then transferred to Dallas High School, where she graduated in 1990. After graduation Marianne attended Western Oregon University, where she received a B.A. in business administration. She began her career in accounting and worked several years for Edge Wireless.

Eventually her creative side won out, and she ended up owning 3 businesses - Restyle in Albany, Restyle Home Goods in Corvallis, and Passion Flower in Eugene. Her attention to detail was meticulous. She had an eye for design and great organizational skills. We think, at this moment, she is helping to organize heaven.

Marianne has 2 children, Grant Acord from Portland, age 25, and Kara Fightmaster, age 20, who is attending the University of Oregon. She loved her children with her whole heart and was always there for them.

For the past 10 years, Marianne was in a relationship with Jim Bourke. These were the happiest years of her life.They shared so many adventures together, and Jim blessed Marianne in countless ways. Jim’s 3 children also held a special place in her heart - Haley, Camma, and Ray. Through Jim, Marianne grew to love aviation, and won several awards in aerobatic competitions. Marianne was a kind, generous, empathetic soul who will be missed by so many.

She was preceded in death by her brother Mark, and both sets of grandparents. She is survived by her parents and countless aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews and a host of people who’ve loved her. Marianne died as a result of an airplane accident on March 3, 2022. Memorial service will be held on March 10th at 11 a.m. at the Dallas United Methodist Church, 565 SE Lacreole Drive, Dallas, OR 97338.

Marianne Fox

CORVALLIS, Oregon (KPTV)-- Days after a Corvallis woman died in a Florida plane crash, her fiancé spoke to FOX 12 Saturday night about the life 49-year-old Marianne Fox lived.

Fox was killed in a plane crash Wednesday in St. John’s County, Florida. She was the pilot and the sole person on board.

St. John’s County Fire and Rescue said Fox’s plane went down near the Northeast Florida Regional Airport. Jim Bourke was Fox’s fiancé and partner for nearly two decades. He was flying next to her right-wing when smoke started to come out of the engine.

“I talked with her on the radio, and she said that she had engine trouble and needed to make a landing right away,” Bourke said.

Bourke said they were in Florida for business and were trying to land at the airport. He said he descended with Fox until he thought she was going to make a touchdown on the runway.

“At that moment I was very confident she made a successful landing, but I don’t know what happened on that,” Bourke said.

Investigators told Bourke that Fox survived the crash. The plane landed in the marsh near the runway and flipped onto its top. But the cockpit was submerged.

“She made it,” Bourke said. “She flipped upside down and sat in the water upside down on the radio with rescuers, but they couldn’t get to her in time.”

Bourke said Fox passed away from drowning in the water. He said he was trying to do everything to reach her after he landed.

“I was there on site I did my best to try and reach her, but it wasn’t possible,” Bourke said.

Bourke said Fox took up aerobatics just a few years ago. But over those years, he saw her piloting career soar.

“She really just took to it well,” Bourke said. “She had a lot of characteristics in her personality that made her well suited for it.”

Fox was training to be part of the U.S. aerobatics’ team this year and compete internationally. She practiced out of the Corvallis Municipal Airport and was a regular volunteer at local competitions.

“She rose very quickly and became a very competent pilot and was very proud of her accomplishments as she should be,” Bourke said.

Outside of aerobatics and flying, Fox was a business owner in Corvallis, a mother, and a valued community member. Bourke said since her death, people in Corvallis and around the country have been sending him messages of condolence. He said knowing how much his fiancé positively impacted others’ lives is helping with the grieving process.

“I’ll be reliving it for a long time so it’s not easy at all, but I know Marianne and she would be the one telling me that I have to accept this,” Bourke said. “That’s the reality and I know how she would want me to do that, so I think about her, and I know I have to do that. But I’m not there yet. That’s not happening anytime soon.”

The National Transportation Safety Board is currently investigating the crash.

St. Johns County Fire Rescue -
Yesterday afternoon just after 5:00 pm, SJCFR received notification that an aircraft was approaching with smoke in the cockpit and had crashed in the marsh. 

St. Johns County Fire Rescue, along with multiple agencies worked to reach the aircraft crash site. 

Once crews arrived at the crash site they extricated the patient and transported her via airboat to where rescue units waited. 

The patient was transported to Flagler Hospital in critical condition. 

The cause of the crash is currently under investigation.