Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Robinson R44 Raven II, N31136: Accident occurred October 18, 2020 at Washington Island Airport (2P2), Door County, Wisconsin

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

The National Transportation Safety Board did not travel to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entity: 
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Location: Washington, WI 
Accident Number: CEN21LA021
Date & Time: October 18, 2020, 14:00 Local 
Registration: N31136
Aircraft: Robinson Helicopter Company R44
II Injuries: 1 None
Flight Conducted Under:

Aircraft and Owner/Operator Information

Aircraft Make: Robinson Helicopter Company
Registration: N31136
Model/Series: R44 II 
Aircraft Category: Helicopter
Amateur Built: No
Operator: Operating Certificate(s) Held: None
Operator Designator Code:

Meteorological Information and Flight Plan

Conditions at Accident Site: VMC 
Condition of Light: Day
Observation Facility, Elevation: 2P2,652 ft msl 
Observation Time: 13:55 Local
Distance from Accident Site: 
Temperature/Dew Point: 5.6°C /-2.2°C
Lowest Cloud Condition: Scattered / 3800 ft AGL 
Wind Speed/Gusts, Direction: 9 knots / 14 knots, 290°
Lowest Ceiling: Visibility: 10 miles
Altimeter Setting: 30.07 inches Hg
Type of Flight Plan Filed:
Departure Point: Washington, WI 
Destination: Washington, WI

Wreckage and Impact Information

Crew Injuries: 1 None 
Aircraft Damage: Substantial
Passenger Injuries:
Aircraft Fire: None
Ground Injuries: 
Aircraft Explosion: None
Total Injuries: 1 None
Latitude, Longitude: 45.389097,-86.924557 (est)

A man was able to walk away under his own free will after his helicopter crashed at Washington Island Airport Sunday afternoon. 

The crash occurred just after 2:00 p.m. as it was trying to take off. 

The pilot, who was the sole occupant of the helicopter, was not injured as a result. 

Washington Island Police Officer Gary Schultz says the cause of the crash is under investigation by the Federal Aviation Administration but added the pilot reported there were some wind gusts.

Schultz says most emergency personnel left the scene after about 25 minutes, though he stayed back until the helicopter was removed from the scene. 

The name and other details about the crash are being withheld until the FAA concludes its investigation.


  1. with the damages, I'd suspect he walked away with some serious bruises and one big headache...

  2. Wouldn't get me anywhere near a Robinson!