Sunday, December 24, 2017

Smooth take off as new Muscat airport trials flight operations



Muscat -   An international flight consisting 200 guests on board Boeing 787 Dreamliner took off from the new Muscat International Airport as part of the trial on Saturday morning.

To make it look real, the 200 guests had even dummy passports and luggage for the 30-minute trip.  The trial followed the entire process including checking in, baggage handling, finding the boarding gate, emergency evacuation, boarding the flight and disembarking from the same.

The guests comprised high-ranking officials from ministries, travel agents, exchange house representatives, Public Authority for Civil Aviation and Oman Airports Management Company (OAMC) officials.

Sheikh Aimen bin Ahmed bin Sultan al Hosni, chief executive officer, OAMC said, “We plan to be among the top 20 airports in the world. The construction is almost over and the new Muscat airport will start its operations soon. We will have more trials in the coming days.”

Hosni said that the aim of the flight trial was to ensure that everything is in order before the commencement of actual operations. “These trials will be more than testing operations. We will use the valuable feedback from everyone to achieve the goal of emerging among top 20 airports in the world.”

He added that the tourism sector is witnessing a boom and the new airport will help to attract more airlines and travellers to the sultanate.

H E Dr Ahmed bin Mohammed bin Salim al Futaisi, Minister of Transport and Communications had earlier said that the trial will help the government to decide on the launch date of operations.

Story and photo gallery ➤ http://www.muscatdaily.com

No comments: