Friday, August 25, 2017

American Aviation AA-5: Fatal accident occurred August 24, 2017 near Swift Current Airport (YYN), Saskatchewan, Canada

Un père et son fils ont péri dans un accident d'avion en Saskatchewan jeudi soir.

Le pilote Junior Verreault, 35 ans, et son père Yvon, 60 ans, devaient se rendre dans les environs de Calgary pour aller chercher un nouvel appareil.

Cependant, l’avion opéré par le pilote s’est écrasé peu après le décollage à l’aéroport de Swift Current, dans le sud-ouest de la Saskatchewan.

Un agriculteur des environs, Dan Leshures, a assisté à l’écrasement. En entrevue avec le «Regina Leader Post», il a confié avoir remarqué que l’avion ne décollait pas vite. «Il a penché sur la droite, puis est parti en spirale vers le sol», a raconté M. Leshures, qui a foncé vers le site de l’écrasement après avoir appelé les secours.

À son arrivée, d’autres témoins étaient déjà sur place avec des extincteurs. Selon lui, seule la queue de l’appareil était relativement intacte.

L’avion a pris feu après l’impact. Toutefois, les personnes sur place ont pu éviter qu’il se propage dans le champ d’orge où s’est écrasé l’appareil.

Ce n'est qu'après l'intervention des pompiers qu'il a été possible de découvrir les deux corps dans la carcasse de l'avion.

Le Bureau de la Sécurité des transports (BST) mène une enquête pour comprendre les circonstances du drame.

Two people are dead after a plane crashed near Swift Current, Sask.

The victims may be from Quebec, according to TVA Nouvelles.

The small, single-engine aircraft went down less than a kilometre from the Swift Current Airport shortly after taking off from the facility around 7 p.m. Thursday.

The 1979 American Aviation plane, which was privately owned, originated from Nelson, B.C., and was en route to Regina.

Dan Leshures, who ranches north of Swift Current, was loading bales in a field about a half mile away when he saw the plane take off from the airport. He thought to himself that the plane didn’t seem to be going very fast and the tail was dragging a bit. He loaded another bale and when he looked back, he said, the plane “tipped off to the right and spiralled to the ground.”

Flames and smoke were rising from the crash site as he dialled 911 and made his way toward the wreckage. He said the tail end was still intact when he arrived on the scene, but not much else. A few others who witnessed the crash were already there with fire extinguishers when Leshures arrived.

Brian Weedon and Duane Smith were among those shooting at the Swift Current trap club Thursday night when the crash happened. Between hearing protection and shots being fired, no one in the group heard anything, but someone spotted a plume of smoke not long after they had seen the plane flying overhead.

As Smith called 911, a group jumped in Weedon’s truck to see what had happened. When they moved past a patch of trees, they saw the plane engulfed in flames.

Weedon said there wasn’t much recognizable when they arrived at the scene. He and Smith walked the field around the crash in hopes of finding someone who had been able to escape the wreckage, but to no avail.

Those first on the scene, including EMTs, controlled the fire in the field before the Swift Current volunteer fire department arrived and put out the flames on the plane. It was after that, said fire chief Louis Cherpin, that they were able to confirm there were two bodies inside.

Weedon, who has taken flying lessons and has lost four friends to aircraft incidents, said he thought the plane might have been doing touch-and-go landings, an exercise in which pilots land and take off again immediately for practice.

“You don’t think much about what you’re seeing,” said Smith. “You’re just thinking of the family or families and what it’s going to mean to them.”

Leshures said he was also worried about fire spreading through the barley in which the plane crashed, but the field was just green enough that it burned only about 60 feet around the crash.

The airport is located about 6 1/2 kilometres east of Swift Current. It handles private and government aircraft, as well as corporate charters and military training.

There has been a fatal plane crash near Swift Current, Saskatchewan. 

The city says in a release that a small, single-engine aircraft went down less than a kilometre from the Swift Current Airport, shortly after taking off from the facility around 7:00 p.m. Thursday.

The Transportation Safety Board has confirmed that the plane was on its way to Regina, and that the plane was an American Aviate AA5 plane that was privately registered.

Swift Current RCMP said in a release that two people were killed in the crash.

Michael Boutilier, a spokesman for the city, said in the release that the city is expressing its condolences to the family or families of the individuals who were called.

Two investigators from the Transportation Safety Board are on their way to the scene.

The airport is located about six-and-a-half kilometres east of Swift Current.

It handles private and government aircraft, as well as corporate charters and military training.

Original article can be found here ➤

Two people are dead after a plane crashed shortly after takeoff from the Swift Current, Sask., airport on Thursday.

The incident occurred just after 7 p.m. CST. A small, single-engine plane went down shortly after takeoff.

According to the city, the occupants of the plane were headed to Regina.

"The city would like to express our sincere condolences to the family/families of the individuals who were killed in the crash. We will have no further comment on this incident," a news release said.

The two had stopped in Swift Current about 45 minutes prior to their departure. 

Swift Current's airport is not staffed during the evenings due to its small size, but the two likely stopped to fuel up or for a rest, a spokesperson for the city said.

The plane crashed about half a mile out from the airport in the eastbound direction.

The plane is registered in Calgary, though it is not yet known where the flight originated. 

An investigation is ongoing. 

Original article can be found here ➤

Two people are dead after a small plane crashed southeast of the Swift Current airport Thursday night.

RCMP said they received a call around 7:30 that a small plane had gone down just southeast of the Swift Current Regional Airport.

Duane Smith was one of the people who reported the crash. He said he was out with a group of people near the airport when they saw smoke just south of an acreage.

“We jumped in a vehicle and headed there, it was only about a mile away from us, and we could see it in the field right away, it was billowing smoke and a ball of flames in a standing crop.”

He said the first thing they tried to do was see if they could find any survivors.

“At first, we had thought we had maybe seen somebody standing there but it was the tail of the plane.”

Smith said they searched the stubble in hopes that someone was able to get out of the plane. He said there was debris from the plane scattered throughout the field and they were unable to locate anyone.

Smith said there were a few small flames in the field as well but they were extinguished by others who had arrived at the scene.

Police said the two people in the plane were pronounced dead at the scene.

The incident is currently under investigation by police and Transport Canada.

Original article can be found here ➤

No comments:

Post a Comment