Sunday, July 9, 2017

Cessna 180 Skywagon, N2429C: Accident occurred July 09, 2017 near Lake Hood Seaplane Base (PALH), Anchorage, Alaska

The National Transportation Safety Board traveled to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entities: 
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office;  Anchorage, Alaska
Textron Aviation; Wichita, Kansas

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report - National Transportation Safety Board:

NTSB Identification: ANC17LA034
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Sunday, July 09, 2017 in Anchorage, AK
Aircraft: CESSNA 180, registration: N2429C
Injuries: 1 Minor.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On July 9, 2017, about 1220 Alaska daylight time, a float-equipped Cessna 180 airplane, N2429C, sustained substantial damage during an emergency landing in a residential neighborhood shortly after takeoff from the Lake Hood Seaplane Base, Anchorage, Alaska. The airplane was registered to and operated by the pilot, as a visual flight rules (VFR) personal flight, under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 91. The airline transport pilot, the sole occupant, sustained minor injuries, and there were no injuries to those on the ground. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident and no flight plan was filed. The local area flight departed the Lake Hood Seaplane Base, at about 1210, destined to return within the hour.

During an on-scene interview on July 9 with the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) investigator-in-charge (IIC), the pilot stated that after a takeoff from the north water lane, and during climb out, he was unable to retract the airplane's wing flaps. He then requested to return for landing, and the Lake Hood Air Traffic Control Tower (ATCT) specialist on duty granted his request. He said that he then turned right and entered a right downwind leg to return to Lake Hood Seaplane Base. The pilot reported that while on the downwind leg, at an altitude of 600 feet, all engine power was lost. He then selected an open field that was surrounded by a residential neighborhood as a forced landing site. Unable to reach the field, the airplane subsequently landed in the adjacent neighborhood, and just short of his intended forced landing site. During the forced landing, the airplane collided with a tree, various structures, a light pole, and a vehicle before coming to rest in a residential street. The airplane sustained substantial damage to the wings, fuselage, engine firewall and empennage. 

The Anchorage Airport Police and Fire Rescue, Anchorage Fire Department and the Anchorage Police Department responded. Multiple witnesses reported to first responders that they heard the airplane's engine lose power just before descending into the neighborhood. 

Shortly after the accident, the NTSB IIC, accompanied by a Federal Aviation Administration airworthiness aviation safety inspector from the Anchorage Flight Standards District Office (FSDO), examined the wreckage at the accident site. 

The associated debris path was oriented on a heading of 320°. (All headings/bearings noted in this report are magnetic). The wreckage debris path measured about 200-feet long, and a 40-foot tall spruce is believed to be the initial impact point, which was marked by a broken treetop. The debris path between the spruce tree, and the main wreckage site consisted of a downed street light pole, damage to a residential structure (duplex), a storage shed, and a pickup truck that was parked in the street. The airplane eventually came to rest, upright, and within a residential street. 

The airplane was equipped with an Continental Motors IO-520 engine. 

The airplane wreckage was then recovered to the Lake Hood Seaplane Base, and a detailed NTSB engine and airframe examination is pending. 

At 1153, an aviation routine weather report from the Lake Hood Seaplane Base (the closest weather reporting facility) reported, in part: wind 340 at 5 knots; visibility 10 statute miles; sky condition, few 2,700 feet, few 4,700 feet, broken at 6,000 feet; temperature 55° F, dewpoint 46° F; altimeter, 29.95 inHg.

No one was injured when a float plane crashed into a house near Lake Hood in Anchorage Sunday afternoon, Anchorage Airport Police said.

The floatplane took off from Lake Hood before communicating by radio that it was having engine problems, said Airport Police officer Douglas Holler. 

It appeared to have crashed into a duplex at the corner of Orion Circle and Cosmic Circle before coming to rest in the street a block away from Balto Seppala Park, busy on a sunny summer afternoon.

The pilot and sole occupant of the plane walked away without serious injuries, Holler said.

No one was in the home the plane crashed into at the time of the incident early Sunday afternoon.

At 1 p.m. fire department and police personnel were on the scene along with dozens of curious onlookers viewing the wrecking of the mangled plane.


The Anchorage Fire Department says the pilot was already out of the plane when they arrived.

AFD says the pilot was the only occupant of the plane and was uninjured.

They say the plane clipped a nearby house in the process of the crash.

The scene of the crash is blocked off between Milky Way drive and Cosmic Circle along Orion drive while the NTSB investigates.


Emergency personnel are responding to a plane crash on 35th and Wisconsin.

Anchorage police said the plane hit a structure and in their Nixle sent out at 12:47 P.M.

The National Transportation Safety Board said they are sending an investigator to the scene.

Anchorage Police have confirmed that no one was injured in the crash.

No comments: