Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Air Tractor AT-502B, Cardinal Air LLC, N4218E: Accident occurred October 18, 2016 in Paragould, Greene County, Arkansas

Aviation Accident Factual Report - National Transportation Safety Board:  

Docket And Docket Items - National Transportation Safety Board:


FAA Flight Standards District Office: FAA Little Rock FSDO-11

NTSB Identification: GAA17CA030
14 CFR Part 137: Agricultural
Accident occurred Tuesday, October 18, 2016 in Paragould, AR
Aircraft: AIR TRACTOR INC AT 502, registration: N4218E
Injuries: 1 Minor.

NTSB investigators used data provided by various entities, including, but not limited to, the Federal Aviation Administration and/or the operator and did not travel in support of this investigation to prepare this aircraft accident report.

The pilot reported that while in a left turn during an aerial application flight the airplane encountered a gust of wind and began to "shake", so he leveled the wings momentarily before continuing the turn. He further reported that he was looking at the field instead of where he was turning and when the airplane was 30-50 feet above the ground he looked up and saw electrical wires. The right wing tip struck the electrical wires and the airplane made a forced landing in a nearby pond.

The airplane sustained substantial damage to the both wings and fuselage.

The pilot also reported that during the day of the accident he was under stress and his head was "in another place". 

The pilot reported that there were no preaccident mechanical failures or malfunctions with the airframe or engine that would have precluded normal operation.

PARAGOULD, AR (KAIT) -   A pilot is safe after a plane crash in Greene County.

The plane was found just off Highway 135 in Paragould Tuesday morning.

Greene County Sheriff David Carter said the plane was discovered in a pond. When it was discovered, nobody was on the plane.

Sheriff's deputies found the pilot at the airstrip where he took off.

The pilot said the wind caused problems at which time he flew through some power lines and crashed.

"Speaking with him briefly," Carter said, "he said the wind was a big factor in it. It looks like he did hit some high line wires and did go down."

GCSO did confirm the pilot was safe.

Carter said the pilot sprayed a field west of the crash site and was headed back to the airstrip when he crashed.

The Federal Aviation Administration will investigate the crash.

Story and video:

No comments:

Post a Comment