Saturday, August 20, 2016

Cessna 150M, Aptis Aviation LLC, N9230U: Accident occurred August 19, 2016 in Littleton, Middlesex County, Massachusetts


FAA Flight Standards District Office: FAA Boston FSDO-61

NTSB Identification: ERA16LA300
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Friday, August 19, 2016 in Littleton, MA
Aircraft: CESSNA 150M, registration: N9230U
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On August 19, 2016, at 1349 eastern daylight time, a Cessna 150, N9230U, was substantially damaged when it impacted trees and terrain during a forced landing near Littleton, Massachusetts. The student pilot was not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan had been filed for the solo instructional flight that was operated under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91. The flight departed from Sanford Seacoast Regional Airport (SFM), Sanford, Maine, with the intended destination of Minute Man Air Field (6B6), Stow, Massachusetts.

According to the student pilot, he was on a solo cross country flight and topped off the fuel tanks with 100 LL aviation fuel prior to departing on the first leg of the flight. He departed 6B6, landed at Laconia Municipal Airport (LCI), Laconia, New Hampshire, and then continued on to SFM. After departing SFM, while en route to 6B6, the engine lost partial power and decreased from 2500 rpm to 1300 rpm. The pilot advanced the mixture to full rich, applied carburetor heat; however, there was no change in the engine performance. He located a nearby field to perform a forced landing, and about 900 feet above ground level, the engine lost total power. The pilot landed the airplane in the selected field, it impacted a stone wall and trees, and then came to rest in the upright position.

An examination of the airplane revealed that both wings were partially separated from the fuselage and the leading edges were impact damaged. The engine was examined and fuel was noted in the carburetor bowl. The fuel was free of water and debris. The rocker arm covers were removed and no anomalies were noted. Crankshaft and valve train continuity was confirmed from the propeller to the accessory section of the engine by rotating the propeller. The spark plugs exhibited normal wear and were in "new condition."

During the recovery, about 10 gallons of fuel was drained from the airplane.

Firefighters responded off of Harwood Avenue for a reported plane crash around 14:00 on Friday, August 19th. The aircraft was occupied by pilot only and emergency landed in a field, striking some trees and a stone wall; and missing two near-by houses. The pilot was evaluated on scene for minor injuries.

LITTLETON -- A student pilot walked away unharmed after the single-engine plane he was flying lost power and crash-landed in a field off Harwood Avenue Friday afternoon.

The Cessna plane had power issues at about 2,000 feet before it made a rough landing into a field and woods off Harwood Avenue shortly after 2 p.m., according to Police Chief Matthew King.

"The pilot stated he lost power and then took some evasive action to try to bleed off some speed, landed in the field and unfortunately went out of the field and into the trees," King said.

The pilot, who was the only person on the plane, was shaken by the incident, he said. The man was evaluated by the Littleton Fire Department for minor injuries.

According to officials, the pilot is a flight-school student at Aptis Aviation fthrough Minute Man Air Field in Stow.

According to the Federal Aviation Administration, student pilots who have a student-pilot certificate may fly alone. A call and email to the school were not immediately returned.

The FAA cleared the plane to be returned to the air field after reviewing pictures of the crash.

"He did a great job in an emergency situation," King said. "He's up, he's walking and he's fine."

He said he believed the man to be a local resident who was familiar with the area. It's unclear where the plane, which was heavily damaged in the crash, was headed. Littleton police and firefighters responded to the scene.

Chris D'Orazio owns the private, residential property where the plane landed. It has a long, winding driveway into the woods with a large gate. Signs along the driveway warn against trespassing and note that surveillance cameras are in use.

"That doesn't typically happen every day," said D'Orazio, who wasn't home at the time of the crash. "I'm just glad the pilot was OK, our horses were OK, and that there was no damage to the house."


LITTLETON, Mass. —A student pilot pulled off an emergency landing in Littleton Friday after his aircraft lost power.

Police said the pilot was flying around 2,000 feet when the Cessna 150 lost power shortly after 2 p.m.

Facing a potentially deadly situation, he remained calm and glided the single-engine plane to the ground at the edge of a wooded area near Harwood Avenue.

The plane was damaged during the crash landing, but the pilot walked away with no serious injuries.

It's unknown what caused the aircraft to lose power.

Story and video:

LITTLETON, Mass. (WHDH) — A student pilot was uninjured after his plane crashed in Littleton Friday.

The crash happened in a wooded area on Harwood Avenue. Firefighters said the pilot, a flight school student, lost all power while he was in the air. The pilot knew the area and guided the plane to a field, then went downhill and hit some trees before stopping.

The Federal Aviation Administration has been notified of the crash.


No comments: