Friday, February 05, 2016

Accident occurred February 01, 2016 in Knutsford, Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada

A pilot was airlifted to the hospital Monday afternoon after crashing his plane in the Knutsford area of Kamloops.

The man was flying a “slow speed, ultralight” airplane above Kamloops when he crash-landed near Jackson Road, according to Cpl. Cheryl Bush of the Kamloops RCMP.

The crash is suspected to have been caused by the rigging of skis on the bottom of the plane.

“He decided to make a precautionary landing on a frozen lake to adjust the skis but during the approach he lost control of the aircraft and collided with the ground,” said Bill Yearwood with the Transportation Safety Board. “He was wearing a lap and shoulder harness and a helmet but he received serious injuries and the aircraft was substantially damaged.”

An off-duty firefighter found the pilot crawling to find help in a field after the crash. The pilot was conscious when he was found, but was airlifted to the hospital.

“He was treated at the hospital for injuries but nothing life threatening,” said Cpl. Bush.

The extent of those injuries are unknown.


KAMLOOPS — A Kamloops-area pilot survived a crash of his ultralight aircraft near Knutsford this week.

Bill Yearwood of the Transportation Safety Board says it happened on Monday.

Yearwood says the pilot had noticed a problem with his yaw control, meaning he was flying slightly sideways, and wanted to correct it.

"He landed on a lake to adjust the skis because he thought that might be part of the problem, and it still wasn't right. He was attempting another landing. When he got to about 20 feet, he lost control of the aircraft and crashed hard," said Yearwood. 

Yearwood notes the pilot was airlifted to hospital suffering from serious spinal injuries, but is expected to survive and adds the man had plenty of experience in this particular aircraft.

He notes the TSB has recorded the pilot's account of the crash, and won't require any further investigation.


One man was sent to the hospital after a crash landing on Monday, February 1st.

Bill Yearwood from the Transportation Safety Board says the pilot was operating out of Knutsford.

Yearwood explains that the pilot was flying and landing in small frozen lakes in the area. He says the crash may have been related to unresponsive skis on the aircraft.

“On one landing approach, he tried to adjust those skis and he lost control of the aircraft and it impacted the ground,” said Yearwood. “He was wearing full harness and helmet and survived with serious, but apparently recoverable injuries.”

Yearwood says the pilot experienced injuries to his back.

After the crash, the pilot was able to call emergency crews who were able to find him due to his spot tracking device.


No comments:

Post a Comment