Sunday, April 8, 2018

N422L: Spanish Fork-Springville Airport (KSPK)





SPANISH FORK — A small plane was destroyed after it caught fire inside a hangar at the Spanish Fork-Springville airport late Saturday, police said.

Around 10:30 p.m., a man in an adjacent hangar noticed smoke and called to report a fire, said Spanish Fork Police Lt. Brandon Anderson.

Fire and police crew arrived, at which point it "took them a little bit to get in," since the entry to the hangar is "just not an easy door to get open," Anderson said.

Upon entry, crews were able to hook up the small, single-engine prop plane and pull it out of the hangar, he said.

"It was engulfed in flames all over. ... It was pretty severely damaged. I think basically all that was left was (the) wings," Anderson said.

He estimated the fire caused $300,000 worth of damage and said "it may have started from some batteries that were charging in the plane."

"They had a battery charger hooked up. It appears that's the general area where the fire started, but that's still under investigation," Anderson said.

Crews were on scene for about an hour, he said.

Original article can be found here ➤ https://www.deseretnews.com

SPANISH FORK, Utah, April 8, 2018 (Gephardt Daily) — A fire in a hangar at Spanish Fork-Springville Airport resulted in an estimated $300,000 in damage late Saturday night.

Sgt. Phil Nielsen, Spanish Fork Police Department, told Gephardt Daily that fire crews were dispatched at 10:32 p.m. after someone in another hangar saw the smoke and notified authorities.

Nielsen said a single-engine, privately owned plane was in the hangar where some work was being done on it.

A battery charger had been turned on and was left unattended, Nielsen said, and that’s what sparked the blaze.

He said the fire was out at 11:23 p.m.

“It took about an hour. These hangars have ginormous doors, and they had to be forced open to get the plane out and extinguish the flames.”

Nielsen said the damage, estimated at $300,000, included the plane, which was a total loss, and smoke and water damage to the hangar.

There was nothing suspicious about the incident, he said.

Offering a little fire prevention advice, Nielsen said, “Be careful, and never leave anything electrical unattended. It’s never a good idea not to keep an eye on electrical equipment.”

Spanish Fork Fire Department responded to the call, with assistance from the Salem City Fire Department.

Original article can be found here ➤ http://gephardtdaily.com

No comments: