Saturday, April 1, 2017

Cessna R182 Skylane RG, Scott Atwell Insurance Services LLC, N2383C: Accident occurred March 29, 2017 in Mooresville, North Carolina

The National Transportation Safety Board did not travel to the scene of this accident 

Additional Participating Entity:
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Charlotte, North Carolina 

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report - National Transportation Safety Board:
Scott Atwell Insurance Services LLC:

NTSB Identification: ERA17LA141
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Wednesday, March 29, 2017 in Mooresville, NC
Aircraft: CESSNA R182, registration: N2383C
Injuries: 2 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On March 29, 2017, about 1325 eastern daylight time, a privately owned and operated Cessna R182, N2383C, was substantially damaged when it impacted a fence while attempting to depart from Atwell Airport (1NC2), Mooresville, North Carolina. The private pilot and passenger were not injured. The flight was destined for Riley Creek Airport (12TN), Kingston, Tennessee. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for the personal flight, which was conducted under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91.

According to the pilot, the airplane was last flown in November 2016. On the morning of the accident, he moved the airplane out of the hangar, washed it, and performed a preflight inspection following the published manufacturer's checklist. He indicated that he was particularly careful checking for bird nests or other hazards, because the airplane had not been flown in four months. He found the airplane to be in good condition with no issues. He then went to a business meeting and returned to the airplane that afternoon, inspected it again, and found no discrepancies. He and his passenger boarded the airplane with a few personal items, and no baggage. After removing and stowing the gust lock, he started the engine without difficulty. He let it warm up for several minutes, then proceeded to back taxi on the turf runway to the beginning of runway 36 for a takeoff to the north.

Prior to takeoff, the pilot performed an engine run-up which he described as "everything seemed normal, the engine sounded fine." During the takeoff roll, as the airplane reached a point on the runway where it would normally lift off (about 1,200 feet down the runway), he pulled back on the yoke, and the airplane "didn't want to fly." He recalled that the airspeed at that time was "close to 60 knots." He did not recall any engine instrument indications and noted that the engine sounded "normal." Once he realized that the airplane was not going to takeoff and a collision appeared imminent, he advised his passenger to prepare for impact. As the airplane approached a fence just beyond the departure end of the runway, he pulled back on the yoke and the airplane lifted off, flew over the fence, then descended and struck another fence before coming to rest in the driveway of his residence.

The turf runway at 1NC2 was 1,700 feet-long by 60 feet-wide, and was located at an elevation of 830 feet above sea level. The pilot reported that the turf had recently been mowed and the grass was "very short."

Examination of the airplane by a Federal Aviation Administrator (FAA) inspector revealed that the right wing was crushed and bent aft, outboard of the wing strut. The right aileron and flap were damaged. The left wing was crushed aft near its root. The outboard section of the right horizontal stabilizer sustained impact damage consistent with striking a fence post, the right elevator balance horn was fractured and nearly separated from the elevator. The firewall and forward fuselage were buckled.

According FAA records, the pilot held a private pilot certificate with ratings for airplane single-engine land and instrument airplane. His most recent FAA third-class medical certificate was issued October 28, 2015. A review of the pilot's logbook revealed that he had accrued 986 total hours of flight experience, of which 90 hours were in the accident airplane, as of January 16, 2017.

Review of the airplane's maintenance records revealed that the most recent annual inspection was completed on September 10, 2016, about 19 flight hours prior to the accident. The engine had accrued 1,822 hours since new.

At 1320, the reported weather at Statesville Municipal Airport (SVH), Statesville, North Carolina, about 10 nautical miles northwest of the accident site included wind from 080° at 5 knots, the temperature was 22° C, and the dew point was 11° C.

An electronic engine monitor instrument and the engine were retained for examination.

1 comment:

James Russell said...

Under the description portion you made a mistake Morrisville NC is in Wake County NC.
Mooresville NC is in Iredell County. I am a resident of Wake County and this is a common mistake by individuals not aware of the differences in the two cities. One city Morrisville NC is in the Middle of the State and Mooresville is in the more Western part of the State.