Thursday, May 19, 2016

Cessna 210F Centurion, N6450N: Fatal accident occurred May 17, 2016 in Wantage Township, Sussex County, New Jersey

Kathryn's Report:

Lu Chen:

NTSB Identification: ERA16FA189
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, May 16, 2016 in Wantage, NJ
Aircraft: CESSNA 210, registration: N6450N
Injuries: 1 Fatal.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On May 16, 2016, about 2242 eastern daylight time, a Cessna 210F, N6450N, was substantially damaged when it impacted wooded terrain under unknown circumstances near Wantage, New Jersey. The private pilot was fatally injured. The airplane was registered to and operated by a private individual as a personal flight conducted under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91. Night visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan was filed for the flight that departed Griffiss International Airport (RME), Rome, New York, at 2143. The flight's destination was unknown.

There were no known witnesses to the accident and the airplane was not reported overdue. Air traffic control (ATC) began receiving reports of an emergency locator transmitter near the accident site at 2252. The wreckage was subsequently located by the Civil Airport Patrol on May 19, 2016. The pilot had no contact with flight service or ATC for the accident flight; however, review of radar data revealed targets with a transponder code of 1200. The targets originated at RME and terminated near the accident side. The last recorded target was at 2241:56, indicating an altitude of 900 feet mean sea level (msl). According to the manager of a fixed based operator at RME, the pilot purchased 25 gallons of fuel during the day of the accident flight and indicated that he would be away for 1 week, but did not specify his destination.

A debris path was observed; beginning with severed tree branches and a section of left horizontal stabilizer and left elevator, and extended approximately 200 feet on a magnetic course of 240 degrees to the main wreckage, which was at an elevation of 670 feet msl. The main wreckage was inverted, oriented about a magnetic heading of 300 degrees, with both wings partially separated at their respective wing root. Both wings exhibited buckling and leading edge impact damage. No fuel was recovered from the left or right fuel tanks; however, both fuel tanks were breached during impact. The flaps and ailerons remained attached to their respective wing, with the flaps observed in the retracted position. The empennage was intact and exhibited buckling. The vertical stabilizer and rudder also remained intact. The right horizontal stabilizer remained attached and a portion of the right elevator had separated and was recovered beneath the main wreckage.

Control continuity was confirmed from the elevator and rudder to the cockpit. Continuity was also confirmed from the right aileron to the cockpit. The left aileron control cable had separated at the doorpost and exhibited a broomstraw separation. The left aileron balance cable remained intact. Measurement of the elevator trim jackscrew corresponded to an approximate 5-degree tab up (nose down) trim position. The cockpit remained intact and the pilot's lapbelt had been unfastened by rescue personnel. The landing gear was in the retracted position. The magneto switch was in the left position and the fuel selector was positioned to the left fuel tank. The throttle control was midrange and the mixture control was in the idle/cutoff position. The landing light was in the on position.

The three-blade propeller remained attached to the engine. Two blades were bent aft and one blade remained straight. About 1/4 ounce of fuel was recovered in the fuel line from the engine driven fuel pump to the fuel metering unit. The fuel was bright, clear, and consistent in color and odor to 100 low-lead aviation gasoline. No other measurable fuel was recovered from the engine or fuel system. The top spark plugs were removed from the engine for examination. Their electrodes were intact and light gray in color. The valve covers were removed from the cylinders and oil was observed throughout the engine. When the propeller was rotated by hand, crankshaft, camshaft, and valve train continuity were confirmed to the rear accessory section of the engine. Thumb compression was attained on all cylinders and the magnetos produced spark to all top leads.

The pilot held a private pilot certificate, with a rating for airplane single-engine land. His most recent Federal Aviation Administration third-class medical certificate was issued on October 26, 2013. At that time, he reported a total flight experience of 300 hours.

The six-seat, high-wing, retractable tricycle-gear airplane, serial number 21058801, was manufactured in 1966. It was powered by a Continental Motors IO-520, 285-horsepower engine, equipped with a McCauley constant-speed three-blade propeller.

Sussex Airport (FWN), Sussex, New Jersey, was located about 6 miles south of the accident site. The recorded weather at FWN, at 2253, included wind calm, visibility 10 miles and clear sky.

A GPS was recovered from the wreckage and forwarded to the NTSB Vehicle Recorder Laboratory, Washington, DC, for data download.

Those who may have information that might be relevant to the National Transportation Safety Board investigation may contact them by email,  and any friends and family who want to contact investigators about the accident should email

WANTAGE — Authorities have identified the pilot killed in a single-engine plane crash last week as a 59-year-old man with an Elmira, N.Y. mailing address, but they've not yet released his name pending family notification.

Elmira, N.Y. police Chief Joseph Kane told NJ Advance Media his department checked the residence on file for the man last week, but the address was vacant and they've not yet been able to make contact with his family.

Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Arlene Salac said the agency does not confirm victims' identities and refers the public release of victims' identities to local agencies.

The pilot's body was found — and his Cessna C210 located — on Thursday in a wooded area near Unionville and Mount Salem roads in Wantage shortly before 11 a.m., New York Civil Air Patrol Incident Commander Maj. Bill Martin said in a news release. The plane was found inverted, with the wings torn off.

"The pilot appeared to be the lone occupant and was deceased," Martin said. "All appearances are that the aircraft was trying to land in the field and hit the tree line."

The Civil Air Patrol had been searching for this plane since Tuesday after being alerted by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center. Ground search teams were able to track the emergency locator transmitter signal to the Wantage field by Thursday morning.

NJ Advance Media is not releasing the pilot's name pending family notification.

WANTAGE — A search team from New York located a downed Cessna 210 aircraft, found today, whose lone occupant was found dead inside.

Civilian air patrols had been searching since Tuesday for the source of an emergency locator transmitter (ELT) signal.

The plane was found inverted at 10:42 a.m., with the wings torn off, said Maj. Bill Martin, CAP incident commander. The wreckage was in the woods, about a third of a mile from Route 651.

“All appearances are that the aircraft was trying to land in the field and hit the tree line,” Martin said.

The identity of the pilot has not been released.

No missing or overdue aircraft had been reported, Martin said.

The only clue was the ELT.

Search aircraft from Poughkeepsie, N.Y., reported the signal in the vicinity of Sussex Airport. By Wednesday, aircraft and ground teams were focusing on Unionville Road in Wantage.

A ground search today located the crash site.

Original article can be found here:

WANTAGE - The pilot of a Cessna 210 aircraft has died after the plane crashed in a wooded area in Sussex County.

The plane was found upside down in the woods Thursday. Its wings were torn off and the pilot was found dead inside.

Initial news reports said that the plane was reported missing earlier this week, but News 12 New Jersey has learned that this was not the case. Officials believe that the plane may have crashed on Tuesday.

According to the Civil Air Patrol, a South Eastern Group ground team out of Poughkeepsie started to track an emergency locator transmitter signal. They set out to search for the signal on Tuesday, but did not locate the crash site until Thursday.

Once the site was located, the team alerted the New Jersey State Police.

It appeared that the pilot was the only person aboard the plane when it crashed.

The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating the crash.

Story and video:

WANTAGE — One person was dead following a plane crash in Sussex County this week, State Police said.

State Police responded to a report of a downed aircraft in a wooded area near Unionville and Mount Salem roads in Wantage Township at about 11 a.m. on Thursday, State Police spokesman Sgt. First Class Greg Williams said.

New York Civil Air Patrol discovered the single-engine aircraft Thursday morning, Williams said. The plane was first reported missing on Tuesday.

A single deceased occupant was found with the plane, he said. The pilot's name has not yet been released.

Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Arlene Salac said the plane was a Cessna 210F Centurion. The FAA will investigate and the National Transportation Safety Board will determine the cause of the crash, she said.

John Richnavsky, the owner of High Hopes Farm on nearby Quarry Road, told NJ Advance Media he heard two helicopters flying over the area Thursday morning. The Civil Air Patrol, he said, responded to the area Wednesday in search of an activated beacon.

Civil Air Patrol Incident Commander Maj. Bill Martin said in a news release the wreckage was found Thursday morning after the Southeast Group ground team out of Poughkeepsie tracked an Emergency Locator Transmitter signal to a field and then the bordering woods where the plane had crashed. The plane was found inverted, with the wings torn off, Martin said.

"The pilot appeared to be the lone occupant and was deceased," he said. "All appearances are that the aircraft was trying to land in the field and hit the tree line."

Civil Air Patrol air and ground teams had been searching for the source of the ELT beacon since Tuesday after being alerted by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center, Martin said.

Search efforts were called off on Tuesday due to darkness and resumed the following day, but search teams were unable to spot the plane from the air. Ground teams continued to search the area using electronic direction-finding equipment late into the night before suspending the effort due to nightfall.

The plane was located by Civil Air Patrol ground search teams at about 10:42 a.m. on Thursday, Martin said.

Original article can be found here:

No comments: