Monday, January 23, 2017

Beechcraft 300 Super King Air, KAAZ LLC, N385KA: Fatal accident occurred January 23, 2017 at Tucson International Airport (KTUS), Pima County, Arizona

The National Transportation Safety Board traveled to the scene of this accident. 


FAA Flight Standards District Office: Scottsdale

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report -  National Transportation Safety Board:

NTSB Identification: WPR17FA057
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, January 23, 2017 in Tucson, AZ
Aircraft: BEECH 300, registration: N385KA
Injuries: 2 Fatal.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On January 23, 2017, about 1233 mountain standard time, a Beechcraft 300, N385KA, was destroyed when it impacted terrain during takeoff from Tucson International Airport (TUS), Tucson, Arizona. The pilot and the passenger were fatally injured. The airplane was registered to KAAZ, LLC, and operated as a personal flight under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 91. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and an instrument flight rules flight plan was filed for the flight to Hermosillo (MMHO), Sonora, Mexico. The flight originated from TUS at 1232.

A witness observed the airplane takeoff from runway 11L and rapidly pitch up in the initial climb. At an altitude between 100-150 feet above the runway, the airplane suddenly yawed to the left while maintaing a nose-up pitch attitude. The airplane then appeared to slow down such that he believed it was about to stall. The left wing dropped, and the airplane rolled left and continued as the nose dropped and the airplane struck the ground inverted. 

Another witness described the airplane yawing from left to right while climbing. The airplane then rolled left and eventually became inverted, in a manner he described as similar to a barrel roll. The airplane then exited his field of view.

After impact, the airplane slid about 650 feet across the ramp on a 060-degree magnetic heading before it collided with an 8-feet tall concrete wall.

The wreckage has been recovered for further examination.

Those who may have information that might be relevant to the National Transportation Safety Board investigation may contact them by email, and any friends and family who want to contact investigators about the accident should email

The passenger in a fatal plane crash at Tucson International Airport on Monday has been identified as a Nogales man.

Daniel Rodriguez, 38, was killed after the twin-engine plane he was traveling in hit a wall near the airport parking garage shortly after takeoff. The pilot, Jeffrey Green, 56, was also killed in the fiery crash, according to the Pima County Medical Examiner’s Office, which released the names Thursday afternoon after using dental comparisons to identify the bodies.

The Medical Examiner’s Office said both men died as a result of blunt force trauma and thermal injuries stemming from the crash.

Larry Tiffin, director at the Nogales International Airport, said the plane was scheduled to arrive in Nogales from Hermosillo the afternoon of the crash, presumably after it first flew from Tucson to Hermosillo.

Tiffin said the plane, which was recently purchased, had never landed or taken off from the Nogales airport. He added that it was picked up in Long Beach, Calif. and flown into Tucson on Jan. 20, according to FlightAware, an online flight tracking database.

“It went through a pretty extensive pre-purchase inspection, they took the engines apart, and it recently underwent a lot of maintenance,” Tiffin said, adding: “Whether that’s a factor or not I don’t know.”

He said records show the plane took off from Tucson Jet Center, where it most likely picked up Rodriguez and fueled up, before crashing around 12:40 p.m. Tucson Jet Center declined to comment.

“They probably took on a full load of fuel which would explain the volume of the fire,” Tiffin said.

The Arizona Daily Star reported that during a news conference Monday, John Ivanoff, chief of public safety at Tucson International Airport, said it was unknown why the plane crashed.

“It hit the ground, skidded for some distance before coming to a rest,” Ivanoff said, adding that airport fire crews and firefighters with the Tucson Fire Department and Air National Guard, whose base is adjacent to the airport, assisted in extinguishing the fire.

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the crash and usually releases a preliminary report of its investigation about a week after a crash, the Daily Star reported.

The Beechcraft 300 the men were traveling on was registered to Nogales-based KAAZ LLC. The company was incorporated in August 2016 by Luis Moreno, Jr., who did not respond to a voicemail or Facebook message seeking comment.

Commonly used as a corporate plane, the Beechcraft 300 is a turbo-prop plane. The aircraft was manufactured in 1985 and registered under KAAZ LLC the same day as the crash, FAA records show.


The two men who died in a Jan. 23 plane crash in Tucson were identified as Jeffrey Green, 56, and Daniel Rodriguez, 38. 

The men were identified through dental comparisons on Jan. 26, the Pima County Office of the Medical Examiner said in a news release. 

The privately-owned Beechcraft 300 Super King Air was headed to Mexico, but crashed at the Tucson International Airport shortly after takeoff. The two men died from blunt force and thermal injuries. 

National Transportation Safety Board officials are investigating the crash. 

Daniel Rodriguez

News 4 Tucson has learned new details regarding the crash of the small plane at TIA on Monday that killed two men.

Even though the identity of the victims has not been released yet, News 4 Tucson's Lupita Murillo has tracked down the owner of the plane to Nogales.

According to FAA records, the owner of the plane is Luis Moreno, a businessman who owns warehouses in Nogales.   FAA records show he took ownership  of the plane on Monday, the day it crashed.

The plane is registered to KAAZ LLC in Nogales, Arizona, and it lists the address on North Target Range Road.

The plane was built in 1985.

Records also show on January 20th the Beechcraft 300 Super King Air flew from Long Beach California, taking off at 9:26 a.m. and landing in Tucson at 11:46 a.m.

News 4 attempted to talk to Mr. Moreno, but were told he hadn't returned from lunch. We were also told everyone was in shock over the crash. 

While we were waiting for Mr. Moreno, Nogales Police showed up and told News 4 he had called them and ask that News 4 leave his property and that his family wanted their privacy. 


Authorities are working to identify two people who died Monday in a fiery plane crash at the Tucson International Airport.

The Pima County Office of the Medical Examiner is working to identify the remains found in the wreckage of a Beechcraft 300 Super King Air that airport officials said crashed shortly after takeoff around 12:40 p.m. on its way to Mexico.

The two bodies were extracted from the twin-engine plane Monday evening and sent to the medical examiner, said airport spokeswoman Jessie Butler.

Dr. Greg Hess at the medical examiner’s office said he had not yet made a positive identification as of Tuesday afternoon.

Personnel with the National Transportation Safety Board were investigating the wreckage Tuesday. A preliminary report is usually issued about one week after a crash.

An accident notice posted on the Federal Aviation Administration website listed the fatalities as one flight crew member and one passenger.

No conclusions have been drawn yet from the investigation, said NTSB spokesman Keith Holloway. A full investigation typically takes more than one year to complete.

The tail number visible in photos of the wreckage, and listed in the FAA accident notice, shows the plane was manufactured in 1985 and is registered to Nogales-based company called KAAZ LLC, according to Federal Aviation Administration records.

KAAZ was incorporated in August 2016 by Luis Moreno Jr., Arizona Corporation Commission records show. A voicemail left for Moreno went unanswered Tuesday afternoon.



TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - Two people were killed Monday in a small aircraft crashed at Tucson International Airport.

John Ivanoff, Chief of Public Safety with the Tucson Airport Authority said it appears the plane was taking off from the airport and was headed to Mexico before it crashed, skidded and caught fire. 

Ivanoff said the aircraft is a Beechcraft 300 Super King Air. Investigators are working to figure out who owned the aircraft. 

The identities of the two people killed have not yet been released. Officials are still waiting to notify all of the family members. 

"Despite the fact that its been a few hours old, it's still in it's infancy as far as the investigation goes," Ivanoff said. 

Tucson News Now was able to find the control tower audio from moments after the plane caught fire. 

"Maintain one-seven-thousand. Fire! Hey, Two-Alpha-Kilo, I'll call you back," said the air traffic controller. 

Tucson Airport fire arrived at the scene moments after it happened. 

"I got units coming out of Alpha 13 headed towards this area. It looks like its going to be a minimum of 5 minutes delay. We've got responders everywhere on the field. let me know if you need an alternate route," said the air traffic controller. 

Ivanoff said the FAA is already on scene but the National Transportation Safety Board is the lead in the investigation. They will arrive to start their investigation sometime Tuesday. 

The rental car garage near the crash site was closed due to the smoke and chemicals used to put out the fire. Officials said it will remain closed indefinitely since it is now a part of the investigation.  

Commercial flights in and out of the airport as well as other operations were not affected. 

Story and video:


A twin-engine plane taking off from the Tucson airport crashed Monday afternoon, killing the two people on board, authorities said.

The crash of the Beechcraft 300 Super King Air occurred at about 12:40 p.m. and resulted in a large fire near the main terminal. The plane was privately owned.

John Ivanoff, chief of public safety at the airport, said it wasn’t known why the plane crashed.

“It hit the ground, skidded for some distance before coming to a rest,” he said at a news conference.

Airport fire crews, assisted by the Tucson Fire Department and Air National Guard firefighters, put out the fire.

“I can’t offer a reason for the event. It’s only a few hours old and, therefore, we have a lot of work to do to find out why exactly this occurred,” Ivanoff said.

He said the plane was on its way to Mexico.

The plane did not crash into the airport parking garage, but hit a wall near the structure, the airport said.

Ivanoff said the National Transportation Safety Board will investigate the crash. Federal Aviation Administration officials were on the scene Monday and NTSB investigators were expected to arrive Tuesday, Jan. 24.

The crash occurred shortly after takeoff, said NTSB spokesman Eric Weiss.

The NTSB usually releases a preliminary report of its investigation about one week after a crash, Weiss said.

A photograph posted on Twitter by someone at the airport shows a large plume of black smoke billowing above the airport’s parking garage. A video posted by another person shows burning wreckage against a wall on the tarmac of the airport.

The Beechcraft 300 is described as a twin turboprop airplane that has a crew of two and can carry between 6 and 14 passengers. It is commonly used as a corporate airplane.

The names of the pilot and passenger were not released as of Monday evening. Officials were in the process of notifying their relatives.

“We give our greatest condolences to the family members of the victims,” Ivanoff said.

There were no injuries on the ground, he said.

Commercial flights were not affected by the crash, the airport said in a tweet.

Ivanoff said it has been many years since a fatal airplane crash has occurred at the airport. A search of Star archives show that two people were killed when their small airplane crashed during takeoff at the airport on April 25, 1993.


TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - Two people were killed Monday in a small aircraft crashed at Tucson International Airport.

TIA said a small private aircraft crashed and it did not affect commercial flights.

The aircraft, a Beechcraft 300 Super King Air, hit a wall just east of the terminal and near the parking garage.

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the crash and no one else was injured in the accident.

The Tucson Fire Department responded to assist the Tucson Airport Fire Department with the fire.

Story and video:


Anonymous said...


Anonymous said...

Yup, has absolutely nothing to with Wx.

Anonymous said...

Left engine failed. They hit the apron inverted and skidded to a stop at the fence.

Anonymous said...

Some individuals who view this site seem to feel that PT6 turbines do not fail. As they have put it, Geeez

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the propeller didn't feather adding to difficulty maintaining lateral control with rudder input after the power reduction. The auto feather system is supposed to be armed for takeoff. Perhaps it was and there was a problem with the solenoid and it wasn't caught and feathered manually. This is so incredibly sad.

Anonymous said...

Sounds similar to the KICT King Air N52SZ into Flight Safety crash in 2014

Anonymous said...

I have to wonder if the recent maintenance/pre-buy was performed in California or Arizona. If done in Arizona, that might be reason for concern. If done in Calf, it flew a long trip with no issues before it arrived in Arizona.
I always hate flying the first 100 hours after any hot section or overhaul.

Anonymous said... is VMC. over that and you do an orbit and land. under that and so many others, roll over and die!

Anonymous said...

Sounds more like Air Midwest Flight 5481 to me. Possibly a control malfunction or incorrect trim setting.