Waterloo Air Show – June 2 & 3
Participation from all 3 of Canada’s military demonstration teams
Media Day: Friday, June 1
Community visit photo-ops: May 31 & June 1
The 4th annual Waterloo Air Show is set to take the skies this weekend at the Region of Waterloo International Airport. This family-friendly event showcases thrilling, educational and inspiring ground and flying displays. Canadian military performers will include the Snowbirds, the SkyHawks (SATURDAY ONLY) and the CF-18 Demonstration Team.
1) Community visit by the SkyHawks – Thursday, May 31, 3pm at Forest Heights Library
2) Community Visit by the Snowbirds – Friday, June 1, 10:30-11:30am at THEMUSEUM
3) Media Day – Friday, June 1 at the airport
4) Show days: June 2 & 3
MEDIA DAY: Friday, June 1 – begins at 10am – 3pm
Media day will be very casual with the opportunity to meet most of the performers by their aircraft. Location: Flight Line Services (after entering the airport off Fountain Street, follow the road as it curves to the right). Please check in at the Media table. Parking is regular airport parking.
Community Visit Photo-ops:
1) Thursday, May 31, 3pm:
Meet the SkyHawks!! – The public is invited to meet members of the Canadian Forces SkyHawks Parachute Team at Forest Heights Library, 251 Fischer-Hallman Road in Kitchener. A brief presentation will be followed by a meet-and-greet and parachute demonstrations. Free admission, but the public is asked to please call ahead to register 519-743-0271.
2) Friday, June 1, 10:30-11:30am
Meet the Snowbirds!! – The public is invited to meet members of the Canadian Forces Snowbirds at THEMUSUEM in downtown Kitchener on Friday, June 1 from 10:30-11:30am. A brief presentation will be followed by a meet-and-greet and autographs. Bring the kids – June 1 is a PD Day! Free with Museum admission.
Air show line-up: What’s new for 2012:
· Pete McLeod, Red Bull Air Race Pilot – only Canadian and youngest pilot ever to compete in the Red Bull Air Race Championship. From London, Ontario, Pete will perform an aerobatic routine in his racing aircraft.
· Otto the Helicopter – U.S.-based, this is a unique act that will especially entertain the kids. “Otto” blows bubbles, bounces a Yo-Yo, and races around barrels.
· Join Forces Demo – this you’ve got to see! A simulated ground attack by Army personnel, supported by a Royal Air Force Griffon Helicopter and CF-18 Hornet, all highlighted by a wall of pyrotechnics. Kaboom!
· Autograph Tent – this year the Waterloo Air Show will have a dedicated Autograph Tent making it easier for guests to meet the performers.
Air show line-up: Returning favourites:
· Canadian Forces Snowbirds
· Canadian Forces Parachute Team, the SkyHawks (SAT only)
· Canadian Forces CF-18 Demonstration Team
· Canadian Harvard Formation Team
· T-33 ‘Mako Shark’, from London’s Jet Aircraft Museum
· Vintage Corsair, from Vintage Wings of Canada in Gatineau
· Wayne Hadath, air racer and Kitchener resident who only flies in the Waterloo show
· Air Cadets
The Waterloo Air Show offers a full day of fun and activities. Come explore additional aircraft on the ground -- get up close, take photos, and speak to the pilots. Plus displays, vendors, kids amusement rides and activities, performer autographs, food and more.
A Veterans Tent will offer complimentary VIP treatment to Region veterans.
When: Saturday, June 2 & Sunday, June 3
Gates open 9am-5pm. Air show runs approximately 1-4:00pm. (Snowbirds close)
Where: Region of Waterloo International Airport, Breslau (4881 Fountain Street North)
Media arrival: All working media have access to on-site airport parking if you show media I.D. to the parking police. Once inside, park in the airport's public parking lot and sign in at the media table at the VIP/Volunteer/Media entrance (Gate 13).
Media Contact: Diana Spremo, Director of Media & Marketing
To reach Diana onsite June 2 & 3:
§ Please try to call, but if you leave a voice message and don't get a call back, please feel free to try again.
§ Try texting.
§ Ask someone with a walkie-talkie to call me.
§ Look for the crazy lady driving a golf cart.
§ Please note, the Air Show Executive Director is also named "Diana" -- so if you ask for just "Diana" the person will likely direct you to her.
For more information: www.waterlooairshow.com
The Waterloo Air Show is made possible by generous sponsors and 300 incredible volunteers.